here are the articles in china college english intensive reading books.

Friday, May 4, 2007

CET1-05 A MISERABLE,MERRY CHRISTMAS

 Unit Five  sound.gif (2200 字节)
 Text
                      A miserable and merry Christmas? How could it
be?
                 A MISERABLE, MERRY CHRISTMAS
jd105.gif (39554 字节)
           Christmas was coming.  I wanted a pony.  To make sure that my par-
ents understood, I declared that I wanted nothing else.
"Nothing but a pony?"my father asked.
"Nothing, "I said.
5 "Not even a pair of high boots?"
That was hard. I did want boots, but I stuck to the pony. "No, not
even boots . "
"Nor candy? There ought to be something to fill your stocking with,
and Santa Claus can't put a pony into a stocking. " .
10 That was true, and he couldn't lead a pony down the chimney either.
But no. "All I want is a pony. "I said. "If I can't have a pony, give me
nothing, nothing. "
On Christmas Eve I hung up my stocking along with my sisters' .
The next morning my sisters and I woke up at six. Then we raced
15 downstairs to the fireplace. And there they were, the gifts, all sorts of
wonderful things, mixed-up piles of presents. Only my stocking was emp-
ty; it hung Iimp; not a thing in it; and under and around it -- nothing.
My sisters had knelt down, each by her pile of gifts; they were crying with
delight, till they looked up and saw me standing there looking so miserable.
20 They came over to me and felt my stocking: nothing.
I don't remember whether I cried at that moment, but my sisters did.
They ran with me back to my bed; and there we all criey till I became in
dignant. That helped some. I got up, dressed, and driving my sisters
away, I went out alone into the stable, and there, all by myself, I wept.
25 My mother came out to me and she tried to comfort me. But I wanted no
comfort. She left me.and went on into the house with sharp words for my
father.
My sisters. came to me,. and I was rude. I ran away from them. I went
around to the front of the house, sat dadown on the steps, and the crying
30 over , I ached . I was wronged, I was hurt : And my father must have been
hurt, too, a little I saw him looking out of the window. He was watching
me or something for an hour or two, drawing back the curtain so little lest
I catch him, but I saw his face, and I think I can see now the anxiety upon
it, the worried impatience.
35 After an hour or two, I caught sight of a man riding a pony down the
street, a pony and a brand--new saddle; the most beautiful saddie I ever
saw, and it was a boy's saddle. And the pony ! As he drew near, I saw that
the pony was really a small horse, with a black mane and tail, and one
white foot and a white star on his forehead. For such a horse as that I
40 would have given anything.
But the man came along, reading the numbers on the houses, and, as
my hopes - my impossible hopes - rose, he looked at our door and passed
by, he and the pony, and the saddle. Too much, I fell upon the steps and
broke into tears. Suddenly I heard a voice.
45 "Say, kid,"it said, "do you know a boy named Lennie Steffens"
I looked up. It was the man on the pony, back again.
"Yes, "I spluttered through my tears. "That's me. "
"Well, "he said, "then this is your horse. I've been Iooking all over for
you and your house. Why don't you put your number where it can be
50 seen? "
"Get down, "I said, running out to him. I wanted to ride.
He went on saying something about "ought to have got here at seven
o'clock, but --"
I hardly heard, I could scarcely wait. I was so happy, so thrilled. I
55 rode off up the street. Such a beautiful pony. And mine! After a while I
turned and trotted back to the stable. There was the family, father, moth-
er, sisters, all working for me, all happy. They had been putting .in place
the tools of my new business: currycomb, brush, pitchfork - everything,
and there was hay in the loft.
But that Christmas, which my father had planned so carefully, was it
60 the best or the worst I ever knew? He often asked me that ; I never could
answer as a boy. I think now that it was both. It covered the whole dis-
tance from broken--hearted misery to bursting happiness -- too fast. A
grown-up could hardly have stood it.
                                                New Words
miserable/ a: causing unhappiness;very unhappy 悲惨的
merry / a. cheerful, -full of lively happiness, fun, etc: 欢乐

, 愉快的
pony / n. a small horse 矮种马;小马
boot / n. 长统靴
candy / . n. (AmE) sveets 糖果
stocking / n. 长(统)袜
chimney / n. 烟筒
eve / n. 前夕
fireplace / n. 壁炉
mixed-up / a. (different things) put together 混合的,混杂的
limp / a. soft; not stiff or firm 软的 ; 松沓的
kneel / ( knelt /nelt/ ) v go down or remain on the knee(s) 跪下
indignant / a. angry at sth: . unfair 气愤的; 愤慨的
stable / n building for keeping and feeding animals, esp.

horses 马厩
weep v. cry 哭泣;流泪
rude / a. not at all polite 粗鲁的, 不礼貌的
wrong/ vt. treat unjustly 委屈
curtain / n. 窗帘
lest / conj. for fear that 唯恐;以免
anxiety / n. fear caused by uncertainty about sth. 焦虑
impatience / n. inability to wait calmly 不耐烦,急躁 ,
patience /n.
brand // n. 商标, 牌子
brand-new a. entirely new and unused 崭新的
saddle / n. 马鞍
mane / n. 马鬃
forehead / n. that part of the face above the eyes and below

the hair 前额
kid / n. child
splutter / v. speak quickly and confusedly ( from excitement,

etc. ) 语无伦次地说
scarcely / ad. hardly, almost not 几乎不, 简直不
scarce/ a.
thrill / vt. excite greatly 使非常激动
trot / vi. run or ride slowly, with short steps ( ) 小跑
currycomb / n a special comb used to rub and clean a horse 马梳
pitchfork / n. 干草叉
hay / n. dried grass 干草
loft / n. a room over a stable, where hay is kept 草料棚
broken-hearted./ a. filled with grief; very sad 心碎的; 极其伤心的
misery / n. the state of being very unhappy, poor, ill, lone-

ly, etc. 悲惨 ; 不幸 ; 苦难
happiness /n. the state of being happy, 快乐, 幸福
grown-up / a. & n. ( of ) an adult person 成人 ( )
 
Phrases & Expressions
make sure act so as to make something certain 确保 ; 查明
nothing but nothing other than; only 除了…以外没有什么;仅仅,

只不过
stick to refuse to give up or change 坚持 , 不放弃
hang up fix (sth. ) at a high place so that it does not touch the

ground 挂起
or something (used when the speaker is not sure) 诸如此类
catch sight of see suddenly or for a moment 看到, 发现
draw near move near 接近
break into suddenly start ( to cry, laugh , etc . ) 突然 "' 起来
in place in the right place 在适当的位置
 
proper Names
Santa Claus / 圣诞老人
Christmas Eve 圣诞前夜
Lennie Steffens / 伦尼·斯蒂芬斯

[大学英语精读][上一课][下一课]


 

No comments: